As Biblical Christian counselors, we understand that the kind of counseling that sets the captive free cannot be limited to the material realm of the intellect. Counseling from the intellect does not penetrate deep enough. For the Christian Addiction Counselor it goes far beyond the intellect. God's Word tells us and our experience has shown us that what really makes an effective alcohol & drug counselor can not be learned in secular colleges or universities. There is a need for the right kind of education which is found in the Word of God. The Bible and the great wisdom found in its page used to be part of the College Curriculum when Americas Great Colleges and Universities like Harvard, Yale, and Princton and most others were first established in our nation. But in the postmodern era in which we live, God and the Bible has been expelled from our modern day educational arena and it is not surprising that as our access to God and HIS wisdom has departed from our halls of education, so has the fruit of the spirit that prevents crime, wars, strife and the great evils that have come upon our nation. To be an effective counselor we need education, but the right one that we can no longer find in the public education arena. So the education needed to be an effective counselor comes from the Word of God. The Bible is sufficient to speak to all things pertaining to man's mind, will, emotions, soul and spirit. These are the areas of most concern to the Christian Addiction Counselor. In addition to the right kind of education found in the Scriptures there are other necessary building blocks to the making of an excellent counselor:
Here is a list of the most important things pertaining to competency as a counselor:
1. An understanding of one’s true identity in Christ
2. Having the Word of God that contains all truth pertaining to all the issues of life living in one’s spirit. (Over 7000 life principles and promises of God are found in Scripture)
3. Trusting that the Word of God can be relied upon to be inerrant and infallible as interpreted under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
4. An understanding of ones authority and inheritance in Christ.
5. Experience of the power of God to bring down strongholds in people’s lives.
6. Having been through enough suffering to be able to relate with compassion to those who are presently suffering.
7. Having experienced the overcoming power of Christ that comes from the surrender of carnality including that of the intellect that we often erect into the place of God.
8. Having evidenced the fruit of the Spirit which includes: love, joy, peace, long-suffering (patience), gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness (humility and brokeness), temperance (self-control), which occurs only after one has suffered enough and has learned to die to their selfish and self-centered inclinations.
9. Having entered the field of their true calling and purpose ordained by God and learned to function in the gifts and offices of the Holy Spirit imparted to them.
10. Having been broken in spirit and having entered into a humility that no longer takes pride in knowledge of counseling theories and techniques but relies upon God’s Word which “is living, and powerfully working, and sharper than every two-edged sword, piercing as far as the division of both soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge of the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12 LITV
11. Having become willing to pray & believe that God has an answer that may go even beyond the best of human wisdom.
There are as many incompetent “Licensed” counselors as “Lay” counselors, perhaps more because of the deceitful nature of knowledge that puffs up, and “position” which can easily lead to self-deception and pride. In our society, especially in the Social Sciences, Certifications and Degrees have become our modern day Idols. 1 Corinthians 8:1 says that, “…touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity (love) edifieth.” KJV
Six to Eight years of higher education teach a lot about people’s problems without equipping the counselor to solve them. It takes less than one year of equipping to get enough knowledge from scripture to reach people effectively in partnership with God. Only in the kingdom of God is less than one year of knowledge less of a hindrance and burden than eight!
Many who have worked hard for years to attain their degrees in the social sciences hate the Bible and consider God’s Word too simplistic. These people have chosen to put their faith in the knowledge of men rather than in God. They have been burdened with humanistic knowledge that stands in opposition to biblical truth.
BUT THE STATE REQUIRES THAT WE PASS AN EXAM AND THE WORD OF GOD TELLS US TO RENDER UNTO CEASAR WHAT IS DUE CEASAR (AND TO GOD WHAT IS DUE GOD).
THEREFORE, We have the responsibility to study for and pass the state exam: Please sign up for it by clicking here